Sunday, August 29, 2010

 

Oklahoma has got some of the worst roads in the country. My eyeballs try to vibrate out of my head every time we cross that state, and it doesn’t mater which highway we are taking. There are some smooth spots, and I’m hoping once all the construction is done there will be more smooth spots. But, with the economy in the state its in, I don’t have high hopes for continued road maintenance.

In fact, I expect most of the roads in the country to get quite a bit bumpier. And I mean that in both the literal sense and the figurative. They say we are in a recovery, but I don’t see how when every month’s numbers are worse than the month before. If people don’t have jobs, they aren’t going to buy stuff, if businesses aren’t selling stuff they have to lay people off, or go out of business altogether. That means less people have money, and the cycle repeats. The less money people and businesses make, the less tax revenue the government gets to pay for things like unemployment benefits or road repairs.

The most optimistic news reports and blogs are calling for a stalled recovery, or a double dip recession. The most pessimistic for a Greatest Depression, or even complete economic collapse. If those are our options, I’d say we’re in for a rough ride over the next few years.

Or, maybe I’ve just been reading too many gloom and doom reports lately.

Maybe things will get better.

But I’m pretty sure they will get worse first.

 

On a lighter note, Mike had his hernia surgery and has recovered nicely. The three week break from driving was nice, too. But we’re back out and rolling as usual.

We got a few days off to visit with my folks down in Alabama, and that was fun.

1 comments:

L Eckert said...

Would like to see more of writing. Are you not updating? I write and drive also....see my blog at http://www.elleckert.com


About Me

My photo
I'm a 34 year old wife, truck driver, writer, and photographer with a love of adventure and travel. I am a Libertarian, and a total sci-fi geek. I studied archaeology at Auburn University.

Followers

Blogs I Read

Labels

adventure (8) cajun (1) diet (2) eating (1) first load (1) Gustav (1) health (1) hurricanes (2) Ike (1) intro (1) leaving (1) nervousness (1) new truck (1) orientation (1) packing (1) primal (2) rain (1) recipes (1) storms (1) swamps (1) travel (1) truck stops (1) trucking (9) weight (1)